“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Readings Week 11 -- Digital Libraries and Institutional Repositories

This was quite an interesting topic to read about this week as it has been something that I have been delving into at work for the past 6-8 weeks as a side project. I work part-time at the University of Delaware as the newsletter editor/writer for the Center for Composite Materials. I'm interested in moving the web page in the direction of a DL so that our researchers work gains wider access. Some of it is already online, but it is often outdated and not well organized. We do have a small archive of old material on DSpace, but are not leveraging properly. I'm trying to learn as much as I can so that I can pull together a team to organize a project that will revamp what we currently have. To that end, all three of these readings were helpful, but the Lynch article was extremely interesting. One of the issues I am struggling with is the copyright issue and what we are allowed to publish. The MIT model is amazing, but won't work for CCM as we are part commercial. I'd like to see more models of open access archives and how institutions are setting them up.

No comments: