“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Monday, August 24, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow...

Why is it that fifteen minutes into any road trip moms are inevitably interrupted from our mental revelry by that five-word whine “Mommyyyyyy! I have to peeeeeee!” Happens 99.9% of the time. No matter how many times I tell my little sweeties to go before we leave, one of them will have to go when we are on the road with no bathroom in sight.

Today’s trip was to go to Westchester University to pick up my textbooks for half of my grad classes this term. It’s about a half hour drive. Per usual we did the obligatory shoes, teeth, bathroom, car occupying activity checklist and started on our way. Wouldn’t you know it, Miss Elena started the dreaded whine at exactly the 15 minute marker. For some reason Luke told her that seeing yellow things makes you have to go even worse. “Hey look Lena, it’s a yellow car!”

“Mommy, I have to go NOW! It’s the watermelon I ate! And I keep seeing YELLOW things!” Elena whined.

Sadistic 8-year-old that her brother is, he just continued to giggle and point out yellow things to her. I finally got fed up with the noise and whining and said, “That’s it! No more yellow things! Look for red things!”

Luke promptly shouts out, “Look Lena! It’s a red Porta Potty!”

I turn my head to the right to see a rainbow sea of Porta Potties sitting in a lot. I never knew Porta Potties came in so many colors. God certainly has a sense of humor.

No comments: