“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Library Mania


















I made it through my first official librarian conference.

When I told my brother back in September that I was going to be spending three and a half days at a librarian conference in mid-October surrounded by hundreds of librarians from all across the state of Pennsylvania, he just looked at me and said, "great Liss, 'yawn'!" When I tell people I am studying to be a librarian, half the time I get this look and then people will usually say something along the lines of "but you just don't look like a librarian..." Somehow I think most of the world still seems to be under the impression that librarians are these quiet little old ladies that hang out in cloistered little stacks of books with their natty cardigans, glasses, and stern glances. The librarians I know just don't fit that image. We're an eclectic bunch of well-read, fun-loving, tech-savvy and often slightly crazy folk known to be the loudest group in the bar. At least that's my experience! Needless to say, I feel right in my element!

It was slightly dangerous letting me loose at a librarians conference. Little did I know I'd be tempted right off the bat by a discount book sale. Of course I just couldn't walk away -- and proceeds went to support the Pennsylvania Librarian Association. Yet more justification for my diseased habit of acquiring literature. The gift shop was filled with more books, also profiting PaLA, and most of them were showcasing authors who were speaking at the conference. I picked up several as gifts for the kids. I then toured the floor of the exhibits and found some unusual book publishers -- and bought a book for Elena which I had signed by the author. Lucky me, I also won $100 in free books from the Junior Library Guild -- one of my favorite vendors! Once I am a librarian, I hope to use them as their titles and reviews are awesome.

My book habit just continued to be fueled as I met author after wonderful author at the conference. I bought books from all of them and had them signed. All but one were Pennsylvania authors. It was so exciting to see such talent right here in PA! As I read these wonderful new additions to my collection in the coming months, I'll post reviews and share them. Hopefully I won't garner so many yawns -- and maybe some of you will even be inspired to read a few!

1 comment:

Michael Shea said...

Excellent post. Librarian, what a cool job! Andrea would love to work in a library and I would be sorely tempted as well. Part of my dream to become a professional student.