“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Friday, February 26, 2010

Student Teaching -- Remembering What It Was Like To Be A Teen




Please Remember to Use Your

INSIDE VOICE in the Library

Media Center!


Other people shouldn't have to cover their ears.


I've been student teaching for the past 5 weeks in a local high school.  I absolutely love being in the school library everyday.  The kids are great and the library is filled with everything that I love.  Teenagers will be teenagers, however, and we have a very busy library!  When the crowds pick up, so does the noise level.  I just am not much of a yell and scream kind of girl -- unless I have a migraine and it's my own kids not responding to the 10th round of "knock it off guys..."  I prefer a more humorous tack most days. For the most part, I try to place myself in the students' shoes -- after all, we were all teens once.  

In an effort to cull the recent surge in noise level, I created posters and put them up as gentle reminders to our teens to remember their elementary school manners.  My next post will be on the table tops to remind them to clean up after themselves.  My mother used to tell us that "Doris the Maid" was on strike when we weren't pulling our end on cleaning up around the house.  Doris is going to go on strike in our LMC next week.  We'll see if our students start to change their behavior!

No comments: