“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Maggie Stiefvater's Top Reads for 2011



http://maggiestiefvater.blogspot.com/

Maggie Stiefvater starts off the new year on her blog by posting her top five favorite reads of the year.  I read several of her reviews throughout the year and always enjoyed them as she is one of my favorite YA authors.  In fact, her most recent book, The Scorpio Races, was one of my favorite reads for 2011.  It is a wonderful fantasy that I wrote about earlier in the fall that brings life to the myth of the water horse through the tale of two wonderful young people.

Maggie's Top Reads of 2011 were:

Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
The Big Bad Wolf & Me by Delphine Perret
Flyaway by Lucy Christopher
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
The Monstrumologist  by Rick Yancey


I have to admit to only having read half of this list myself, although those that I have read, I agree wholeheartedly with Maggie's reviews.  Shipbreaker was the Printz award winner this past year and one of the best written dystopias I've read to date.  The Night Circus almost sits in a category all of its own.  Anansi Boys is probably my favorite book by Neil Gaiman aside from The Graveyard BookThe Monstrumologist scared the dickens out of me -- I decided after reading it that Rick Yancy is our modern day Poe.


Thanks for sharing your reviews Maggie!  Not only are you a terrific author, but you recommend other terrific authors!

No comments: