“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Positive Classrooms


Teaching With Passion, Patience, Creativity & Flare


When I am talking to fellow teachers and parents they often fall into the “I love teens” or “just get me through this stage” category.  Hopefully those in the latter category are not high school teachers, but I have met some just hanging on until retirement.  I have been collecting resources that I feel really help in working with creating a positive classroom with teens.  If there is one thing I have learned, it is that yelling does not work.  You can create and adversarial relationship, but it will get you nowhere.  By creating a positive relationship, you are more likely able to create the atmosphere of learning you are seeking to create.  My favorite resource, the Love & Logic series, works for all grade levels.   Some of the other resources I’ve listed below have helped me gain an interesting perspective on schools, the classroom, and creating a vibrant, passionate atmosphere for learning.  Despite the constant litany of excuses and laying of blame, I do believe it is possible to teach and teach well in today’s schools – even with excessive testing, challenging students and administrators, and regularly changing rules.  Teaching, like all professions, is not without its challenges, neither is it without its rewards. 

Love and Logic for Teachers
By Jim Fay, Foster W. Cline, M.D. and Charles Fay, Ph.D

Success For Teens
By Jeff Olson, John David Mann, and Al Desetta

Teach Like Your Hair’s On Fire: the Methods and Madness Inside Room 56
By Rafe Esquith

Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace
By Gordon MacKenzie

Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
By John Hattie


No comments: