“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week 3 -- MAC, Linux, and Windows and Muddiest Point

My muddiest point is figuring out when to post...

I really liked reading about all of these except Windows. Windows just read like an advertisement. I found it boring. I use Windows XP and Vista at work and I use a MAC at home.
I loved the write-up by Amit Singh on the MAC! I plan on going back to it again as a resource. I am pretty good with my MAC, but he had so many great things in his article including some ways to play with the system. I thought it was a great tutorial. Also, in answer to the class question about fans, I think there are 5 or 6 fans on an iMAC and they are distributed across the system.

I also liked the Linux article although I've never programmed. I think it's interesting that so many programmers are developing as open source programmers. It makes me far more willing to pay for "free" software that I like. I feel like I need to support the starving artists.

No comments: