“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week 6 Readings -- Networks

The readings for week 6 were all fairly repetitive. I felt like they were all saying the same thing about networks in different ways. The concept of networks wasn't new to me, but I hadn't really thought about it stretching all the way to Global Area Networks. Going from PAN to LAN to CAN to MAN to WAN to GAN sort of reminds me of those Russian stacking dolls. I have networked the computers in my house with a wireless router and ethernet, so the hardware terms were also fairly easy to understand. I'd be interested in knowing where to get advanced information on setting up home LANs and security if anyone has any information. My network is setup on a MAC and I have a PC connected to it. We connect PC laptops into it and sometimes have issues with being knocked off the network. I get good signal strength but haven't been able to get to the root of the problem yet.

1 comment:

Dr. Pickle said...

Sometimes the problem is the router if computers that aren't normally on the network get kicked off. Some of them just don't have the capacity to handle more than a couple of computers at once.