“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Week 7 Readings -- Dismantling Integrted Library Systems, Inside the Google Machine Presentation, Internet Infrastructure

The "How Stuff Works" Internet Infrastructure was pretty basic, nothing astonishing or new...

The article on dismantling ILS was interesting. I don't yet work in a library, just volunteer at my kids' school library so I haven't experienced the frustrations of incompatibility on a large scale (other than my mac dealing with the PC world). I guess my feeling is that in the long run it is really in the library's (meaning all libraries) best interest to continue struggling through these challenges even if they do mean extra capital expenditures. Ensuring that today's library system integrates with the outside world is more important than holding on to a relic.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Google presentation! The map of Google users worldwide was really cool. In fact, I liked it so much, I downloaded it to iTunes. I'm really interested in the spread of the Internet globally and thought this was a great way to track useage across the planet! I loved Brin and Page's presentation style and am impressed by several of their ideas. I love the idea of 20% time and the way they encourage innovation and entrepreneurship. I also liked the Top 100 list of ideas -- just like Billboard!

Actually, I work within a special area of the University of Delaware where innovation and entrepreneurship are also encouraged. If one of our researchers has an idea outside of their specific research area, they are encouraged to go with it. One of our PhD candidates has a provisional patent for an idea outside of his research area right now. I want to show this video to my boss -- I think he'll like it!

No comments: