“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dead Well Organized




The Archived
By Victoria Schwab

Mackenzie Bishop has had to move an hour away from everything she knows and loves.  She has left behind her best friend and her tangible memories of her dead brother Ben for a dusty life of cardboard boxes in an old hotel converted into apartments called the Coronado so that her Mother can begin her latest project.  Her new home has her running with young Histories escaping as she jumps between the Outer and the Narrows to send them back to the Returns.  Mysteriously, however, names seem to be disappearing off her list without her capturing some of the Histories.  What’s going on at the Coronado?

I had the pleasure of meeting Victoria Schwab at ComicCon New York last week where she was part of a panel.  When she spoke about her book The Archived, I became so intrigued that I made a note to put it at the top of my NetGalley review list upon my return home.  Unfortunately, as a reviewer I only received a “sneak peak” of the first 108 pages, but it was enough for me to say that this is definitely an amazing read.  If you liked Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book, you will enjoy this as well.  It has the same feel of mixing the worlds of living and dead that Gaiman used in his book although Schwab’s book is decidedly different with very different mix of characters.  Of course, as a librarian, I can’t help but love the library theme.  The idea of placing the dead in a library system is just way too cool for those of us who love things to be organized!  I can’t wait to read the rest of the book when it comes out in January!  (And Victoria, if you happen to have a way to swing any of this most awesome swag my way, I'D LOVE IT!  It is too cute not to show off!)




No comments: