“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Monday, August 8, 2011

A New Book to Add to My Favorites List...



Revolution
By Jennifer Donnelly


















Every once in a while I read a book that completely captures me. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly was one of those books. I read while I was at ALA in New Orleans -- the perfect setting because of New Orleans’ French history. I even bought a souvenir silver fleur de lis skeleton key necklace for myself in the French Market after deciding it was kismet when I found it!










 
Revolution tells the stories of two girls, Alex and Andi. Alex is living during the French revolution and is fighting to save the life of the young prince of France. Andi is a young highly gifted musician who is fighting to survive her family’s tragedy in modern-day Brooklyn. The stories intertwine mixing music, art, and history in a complex and captivating way. Donnelly aptly weaves emotions into her tale so that they feel legitimate. Lovers of historical fiction, musical tales, or just plain good stories will love Revolution. It’s a book that will stay on my permanent shelf.

No comments: