“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Yet Another Take On The Vampire Story...












 
iDrakula
By Bekka Black




This book was an interesting little paperback that I picked up from a Junior Library Guild* backlist recently.  I have a thing for vampire books anyway and thought the premise of a book written in texting and e-mail form was a clever idea.  While it wasn’t a book that I’d be telling the English teachers to place on their curriculum, I do think this is a great book for teens who are not apt to pick up a book or busy and just want a fun quick read.  I read it in less than an hour.  The other thing that is fun about it is that it can also be purchased as an iPhone book for $1.99.  I didn’t know this until I had the paperback and got to the end of the book, however, once I downloaded the book and took a look at it I found it even more fun.  The digital presentation of this particular book is perfect since the story is a digital story.  You can either buy the paperback or skip it altogether and just buy the app at the app store by searching iDrakula.  Either way, it is an interesting look at the possibilities of writing with technology in a creative way!













 

*A special note on JLG:
I’ve been a member of the Junior Library Guild since my second year of library school.  I was at a library conference and stopped by their booth and was so impressed by the book selection.  They had all of the titles that I’d been perusing journals for sitting right there on the display.  Many of them weren’t yet being talked about!  All Children and YA librarians should be members of this organization – it’s the best way to get quality K-12 books across genres.  They work as a subscription service so that you get a selection each month from each age and genre group that you subscribe.  They have reviews of the books as well as an affiliation with Horn Book and School Library Journal.  In addition, they have a fabulous backlist selection of books that are discounted from past selections priced as low as $5 for hardbound books.  Books can be ordered with MARC records, mylar book covers and labeling as well.  Unfortunately for my non-librarian friends, you do have to be a librarian.

No comments: